MK-Lightning MK-Thunder MK-Falcons MKIH Forums MK-Rumble MK-Jesters MK-Storm

Go Back   MKIH Forums > MK Forums > MK Lightning

MK Lightning Anything related to Milton Keynes Lightning should be posted in here.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Default Re: Q and A session..

Just to let Nick know.... I don't think that there was any secrecy to the Q and A session. I think that they needed to control numbers as the room was a bit small.

In fact the meeting was recorded and I would assume it will appear on the MKL TV very soon.

And a quick comment on the meeting..... I thought that it was honest and realistic.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tea2 View Post
Just to let Nick know.... I don't think that there was any secrecy to the Q and A session. I think that they needed to control numbers as the room was a bit small.

In fact the meeting was recorded and I would assume it will appear on the MKL TV very soon.

And a quick comment on the meeting..... I thought that it was honest and realistic.
It won't be on Lightning TV due to not being able to hear all of the questions but there will be bits of the evening once it's been edited.

I thought it was pretty open an honest, everyone had their questions answered I felt.

As for being the "chosen ones" I really don't get that comment. There was plenty of opportunity to email and get the name down down beforehand. There wasn't a limitless number of spaces available in the room so it made sense to have a reservation system.

Nick, if you didn't get to go did you send your loads of questions in? Not much point in complaining about questions not getting answered if you didn't ask them in the first place??
Old 2 Weeks Ago

I did contact the club to ask why the meeting was not open to all supporters, and was indeed told that the venue was not big enough, in which case, why not go for a bigger venue ? It was clearly stated that the meeting was not open to the public, and I saw no mention of supporters other than those who were allowed to attend, being asked to submit questions ? I attend all home games, even midweek, and I support the club by buying 50/50s, programmes & this year a Christmas design shirt for £75. I travel 70 miles to attend, and collect another regular, who otherwise would not be able to come to games. Just because I am not an SC or Gold Club Member at present, I am committed to the club, since match one, so think I deserve the right to ask questions and to give my opinion on issues concerning the club.

I have seen the write-up on the meeting, and I am sorry, but it all seems a little bit cosy to me. I have always preferred to ask my questions directly, face to face, to the people who can give a straight answer, but in my opinion, it seems like they have had a well stage managed, and somewhat easy ride.

Here are some of the questions I would have liked to ask :

1/ Given the remarkable loyalty of the fans, following a generally very poor run of form, is the club operating at a profit, break even, or a loss ?

2/ I was told unofficially that break even this season was 1,300 spectators a game. Is this correct ? If so, we must be doing OK financially, so why are we so slow to have covered serious long term injuries ?

3/ Does the coach agree that poor player discipline, which has continued even since the four man official system came in, has been a contributory factor in our slump ? If so, what lengths has he gone to to get through to the players the importance of staying on the ice ?

4/ Could the club be more open and honest regarding injuries, and give a rough guide as to how long a player will be missing for ? If I pay full price to go to a show, I expect to know if I will be seeing the full cast !

5/ Can I ask what do the players in general, think of the standard of officials in the league ? I am personally very disappointed, as after the first few games it seems to have almost gone back to EPL level. Do we suffer from decisions going against us, as we are seen as indisciplined, with one or two loose cannons in the team ? (One less now !)

I don't think any of these questions are highly contentious, but they might have made the evening a little less bland than it appeared to be in the report.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Advanced Member

The option to send questions in was publicised by them on Facebook. Not being able to attend I used the option to send them a DM on that platform and it was responded to with thanks.

I'm not sure what you expect out of them really.

It was an opportunity to allow ST holders and supporters club members a little something extra for their support in a venue with limited seats ... for free ... while not excluding the opinions and questions of the wider fan base.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post

2/ I was told unofficially that break even this season was 1,300 spectators a game. Is this correct ?
I've no idea what the break even is for the Club but I'd be amazed if it's anywhere near as low as 1300. Was the person who told you that drinking at the time??

If you believe that then no wonder you think that there's a pot of gold somewhere
Old 2 Weeks Ago

I have no idea if the individual had been drinking, he seemed quite sober to me !

I don't believe in pots of gold, no one makes big money out of ice hockey on crowds of this size, but a straight answer to a straight question would be nice.

Perhaps I will have to buy a pair of rose tinted glasses, a plastic horses head, and just be a good happy clapper !

There have been some great games this season, but a lot of lows as well. Is it wrong to try to question the people in charge, if you think they may have made mistakes ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 2 Weeks Ago
MKIH Forums 1000 post club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble33 View Post
I've no idea what the break even is for the Club but I'd be amazed if it's anywhere near as low as 1300. Was the person who told you that drinking at the time??

If you believe that then no wonder you think that there's a pot of gold somewhere
Wow...that’s a bit condescending?

Perhaps you could tell us the break-even for the club (if you know that the figure quoted is wrong)?

To be fair I can sympathise with a lot of the points Nick makes about being a supporter. I travel in from Oxford every ‘home’ game I attend. Sadly due to work commitments this isn’t as regular as my ‘almost every weekend’ of the last 2 seasons. I’ve got a limited budget for hockey which used to pay for tickets, programs, shirt-raffle tickets... now with more expensive tickets it just covers getting through the door.

While it can’t be undersold what the ST and SC members do for the club, having a Q&A just for them is kind of ‘preaching to the converted’. As soon as I saw it wasn’t open to ‘my type’ of fan I lost interest to be honest, and work got in the way of me sending in q’s via e-mail in any event (though thanks again to Dave for the offer). The club should be careful they avoid a two-tier fan structure: they can guarantee on the support of ST and SC, but they don’t pay for the team on its own, the more ‘casual’ fans who don’t buy into those schemes deserve to feel part of the team as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Quote:
There have been some great games this season, but a lot of lows as well. Is it wrong to try to question the people in charge, if you think they may have made mistakes ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Of course not, that's why questions were invited via email. And people were invited to put their names down.

The owners did acknowledge that they had made mistakes this season, especially where communication and ticketing policy was concerned and they're in the process of rectifying that.

Everyone has a valid contribution to make to this club and that has always been the case. I'm sure the owners would willingly answer your questions if you were to speak to them on a matchnight. If you don't know who they are I'm certain that someone could introduce you.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Smile Re: Q and A session..

I have been assured that the proliteriate will have their chance, so I look forward to that. In my direct communication with the club, I was not told that questions could be submitted by email, and I have no interest in Facebook, so would not have seen it there.

Yes, I thought part of the reply to one of my posts was condescending, and not really the tone expected from a board administrator. But to quote Lauren Cooper, of Catherine Tate Show fame, "Am I bovvered ?"

Maybe part of the problem is that as we come towards the latter part of the season, many of us still don't know what the owners look like ? Perhaps they need to make a little more effort to mix with and speak to the paying customers.

Anyway, must shoot, as I need to "buff my horses head" ready for Saturday night, and return Das Kapital to the workers library !
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, I thought part of the reply to one of my posts was condescending, and not really the tone expected from a board administrator. But to quote Lauren Cooper, of Catherine Tate Show fame, "Am I bovvered ?"
Apologies if my reply came over in the way you thought, it certainly wan't intended that way. Having said that you say you were not "bovvered" but "bovvered" enough to quote a fictional comedy Character

I'll leave you in peace and refrain from making any substandard replies