MK-Lightning MK-Thunder MK-Falcons MKIH Forums MK-Rumble MK-Jesters MK-Storm

Go Back   MKIH Forums > MK Forums > MK Lightning

MK Lightning Anything related to Milton Keynes Lightning should be posted in here.

Old 3 Weeks Ago
MKIH Forums over 1000 post's club

Default 2 way players

Before I start, I'd like to make it clear that this isn't a rant or a criticism, having never played or coached ice hockey I'm more than aware of my lack of specific knowledge, so wanted to gain the opinion of others. I'm also aware that no-one other than the coach or potentially players would know the answers.

It's been touched upon in last nights game thread and has been raised before, but I'm failing to see the point of the two way contracts at the moment. Last night we had a team consisting of 5 defence and 8 forwards, that potentially could have been bolstered to 6 D and 10 F. The club saw fit to secure the services of Johnson and Billing for the game, no idea whether they enquired about Knaggs and were refused or didn't bother, but either way it would appear that neither logged any minutes on the ice during a close game, that from the stream appeared to be fast paced and physically demanding.

Whilst I appreciate there needs to be an element of "protection" given to the younger, potentially smaller, 2 way players, if they're logging regular minutes in the NIHL against players akin to Bakrlik, Spearing etc is the EIHL really that much different?

I appreciate that being a close game, Pete may have decided against "risking" the inexperience in case a mistake costs us the game, but how do you weigh that up against fatigue suffered by the first team players.

Again, from what I could tell on the stream, Griffin played out of his skin as a makeshift forward, rightly earning Man of the Match in my opinion. However, as a recognised defenceman, would it not make sense to play him in his correct position in a close game, and utilise Johnson and Billing, alternating shifts in their recognised positions where they have been effective for their clubs?

Finally, presumably Pete must see some form of potential in these players to go to the effort of securing two way contracts rather than just releasing them. I don't know how often they get to train with Lightning, but surely there is no better way of gauging their progression and potential in the EIHL than giving them every opportunity to log time on the ice. By my count there are three further mid-week games this season, I genuinely hope Knaggs, Billing and Johnson can be used for more than sitting penalties and warming the bench.

Interested to hear thoughts of people with greater knowledge and experience than myself....
Old 3 Weeks Ago
MKIH Forums over 1000 post's club

Default Re: 2 way players

I'm one that's questioned it in the other thread and as I said then I think the game last night was a perfect opportunity - especially for Knaggs.

We don't why he didn't play. Does Russell not rate him? Did Pete come to an agreement with Slava not to dress him? Is he injured or otherwise unavailable?

It says plenty about Pete's lack of faith in these guys if he then plays Griff on the wing and further depletes an already short defence. Johnson is simply not an EIHL standard player. We all know why he's got where he has with MK, but he's woefully short of being an Elite player.

I have a hunch MK will struggle to recruit/retain a decent Brit pack next season.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Advanced Member

You can never tell how a game is going to play out, being short benched if we had picked up injuries early on then having extra players to call on in an emergency isn't a bad idea. Personally as they were there I would have liked to see them get on the ice even if it was brief. Maybe before the season is done we will get to see how knaggs has progressed, out of the three I think he is the most likely to make the grade but without seeing them play who knows.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
MKIH Forums 1000 post club

Anyone else think the reason we’ve not seen Knaggs play is that he’s ‘quietly’ been acquired by Peterborough?

Billing and Johnson not being available if their NIHL sides have games would kinda suggest that them being MKL players ‘on loan’ was a bit of spin in the summer-signing PR. More like they’re Phantoms/Wildcat players ‘playing up’ when they’re free?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 2 Weeks Ago
MKIH Forums 1000 post club

Hmm, guessing ‘not’ after tonight’s game, good to hear Knaggs got some shifts
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Reagan View Post
I have a hunch MK will struggle to recruit/retain a decent Brit pack next season.
Hook has not looked out of place when he's been playing up on the top lines, he just needs a chance with those players round him. No disrespect to the likes Boxhill, Foster and Forbes but Hook is wasted on the 3rd and 4th lines. I can see us possibly getting another season from him and then he might be off to one of the bigger teams in the league. If someone comes knocking in the summer, he'll be off I think.

Griff is the heartbeat of the team. He puts himself on the line time and time again blocking shots and skating hard all night. He'd skate through a wall for the team. The last two games I've seen MKL play I've been disappointed that he hasn't got MoM as he certainly played well enough for it.

Billings and Johnson aren't elite league standard players and I would be very surprised if they ever were. Both need to put on several stone in muscle and in Johnson's case grow several inches. I think honestly they have found their level and they are playing at it. Knaggs on the other hand just needs a chance, he's still only 19 and needs to continue to improve as a player. He wasn't out of place at EPL level and played well beyond his years at times showing great composure on the puck, the Elite league is a much tougher place though. I'd be interested to find out how much training these guys get to do with MKL.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Disagree with the Billing comments. To me he has beefed up a littte and seems to have a good degree of awareness. Just needs the exposure at the top level.
Boxill's strength definitely on the PK.