MK-Lightning MK-Thunder MK-Falcons MKIH Forums MK-Rumble MK-Jesters MK-Storm

Go Back   MKIH Forums > MK Forums > MK Lightning

MK Lightning Anything related to Milton Keynes Lightning should be posted in here.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Default Re: Nottingham Panthers v MK Lightning - CC QF 2nd Leg - Wed 03/01/18 F.O. 1930

Well another performance that made me proud to be a Lightning fan.
Yes it was the wrong result for us and maybe the best team on the night prevailed but the guys poured their heart and soul into that and left nothing on the ice. Glad I was there. We'll done guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Advanced Member

Default Re: Nottingham Panthers v MK Lightning - CC QF 2nd Leg - Wed 03/01/18 F.O. 1930

I don’t get to many games due to living in Melton Mowbray and the wife’s work patterns but from what I have read on this forum and the way the team played tonight I would have thought Hendo’s updates were made up. There was effort & work rate but ultimately we were outmuscled over the final 40 mins by a team who are physically much bigger than us and who had 5 extra skaters on their bench!!! Who knows what would’ve happened had VP hit net and not iron in the first period where we were more than a match for them.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
MKIH Forums over 1000 post's club

Poor defending on all of the first five goals gifted Panthers the win. Wiiki played well and was my MoM - kept us in with a chance up to that 90 seconds of unadulterated cack from Hudson and FV-P to gift Delgado the GWG from nothing then Nickerson stuffed up twice in the matter of seconds - game over!

The first period was entertaining stuff with both teams making decent chances. Panthers scored on the PP after Hudson went walkabout and went up-ice as Hook and Boxhill (it think) broke out of the zone to set up a chance. When the play broke down Philipps was in acres of space behind Hudson to skate in on Wiiki and fired home.

Lightning responded with a decent worked goal from King to Kearney, backdoor to Isaackson, who tapped it home.

The Lightning were put on the power-play mid period and we were unlucky not to take the lead as decent team work gave Panthers all sorts of problems around the crease that just wouldn't fall on the stick then a slapshot (possibly Hudson?) slammed against the pipework. Unfortunately the line change was required and the second line was as ineffective as normal.

The game flowed from end to end with both teams making good plays that could have added to their tally the closest was FVP slapshot that again hit the pipework and flew to safety.

Panther opened the scoring in the second 3 minutes in. Stretch pass to Mosey across the ice he entered the zone with Hudson who just stood off him letting him wrist a shot past Wiiki blocker side. A decent shot that would have tested many netties but Hudson gave him so much time and space to set it up it was like he was still taking a shot in warm-up.

Lightning though pulled it back within a couple of minutes after Isaackson broke up the left, found Kearney who then found Stoflet in front of the crease whose first shot was blocked but rammed home the second effort.
It was fairly even for the next few minutes despite Denny Kearney taking a cross-checking minor after MKL had good possession in the Panther D zone. The penalty was fairly easily killed. But then came the meltdown just after halfway in the period.
Delgado took the puck up the right hand side and tapped it forward to skate onto. Hudson had his body between him and the puck but let him just skate through him. No problem F-VP wold collect the puck first! Erm no. Delgado just took it off him skated across the crease and popped home for the GWG.

The King line came out and tried to make an instant response. Unfortunately it broke down on the right and Panthers sent the puck forward past Nickerson who was now in no-mans land and chasing Brown up the ice. The ease with which Brown cut inside was ridiculous and a nice move took Griff out of the play to again be in front of Wiiki to tap home.

From the face-off Panthers dumped the puck Wiiki collected behind the net and rimmed it to Nickerson on the boards who couldn't control it. Sauve laid the hit came up with the puck, couple of quick passes and it's in the net.
After that Panthers just controlled the game for a comfortable win, with Lightning not really making that many clear cut chances.

Disappointing in many respects. Defensively only Griff and Stoflet can come out of that with much credit for me. Up front the King/Kearney/Isaackson line looked the one that could make the difference. I like Isackson but he often takes one touch too many on the puck that causes a turnover - it happened time and again tonight unfortunately. Foster replaced Hook on the Doucet/FVP line and looked decent but the other two were poor tonight. For thirty minutes we were decent value unfortunately the game is played over 60!
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Very much enjoyed the game last night and so did those who were loud and proud to be there with the team. Easy to highlight mistakes and see game from favourites or non favourites views. Overall Nottingham had a bigger roster of skaters than us and that's before you take into account the u23's minutes. Clearly some of the team are skating around injuries that perhaps need a rest period but in view of the numbers are being carried. I only pay to be a supporter and thankfully am not responsible for the overall budget, I'm very grateful for what we have, my team representing me and carrying my hopes, great thanks due to the owners for giving us that opportunity and the hope that as we gain experience and continue to compete at this level that we will slowly rise to be a bigger fish in the pond.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Rolyat that just about sums it up how I feel !
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolyat View Post
Very much enjoyed the game last night and so did those who were loud and proud to be there with the team. Easy to highlight mistakes and see game from favourites or non favourites views. Overall Nottingham had a bigger roster of skaters than us and that's before you take into account the u23's minutes. Clearly some of the team are skating around injuries that perhaps need a rest period but in view of the numbers are being carried. I only pay to be a supporter and thankfully am not responsible for the overall budget, I'm very grateful for what we have, my team representing me and carrying my hopes, great thanks due to the owners for giving us that opportunity and the hope that as we gain experience and continue to compete at this level that we will slowly rise to be a bigger fish in the pond.
A last a post I 100% agree with. We'll said.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 1 Week Ago
MKIH Forums over 1000 post's club

Highlights courtesy of the Nottingham Panthers