MK-Lightning MK-Thunder MK-Falcons MKIH Forums MK-Rumble MK-Jesters MK-Storm

Go Back   MKIH Forums > MK Forums > MK Lightning

MK Lightning Anything related to Milton Keynes Lightning should be posted in here.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
MKIH Forums 500 post club

Default So What Now For Lightning

So after a quick frankly dismal festive period where the only result we got was a cup victory over a Panther's side who couldn't beg, borrow or steal a win at the moment is it time to park any ambitions for this season & look to where improvements can be made for the next?

I think it is fairly obvious in what areas we have struggled with - an often ineffective defence, inconsistency amongst the forwards & indiscipline being major issues.

However, is this also the time that we need to think about a change at the helm. How long do you give Peter Russell? Is he part of the problem or part of the solution? There have been questionable decisions made such as running with 5 D for so long after Gibson left, not playing to the strengths of some of the squad (which has led to Ludwig Karlsson being gassed & Lewis Hook disappearing from the points) & having the three U23 slots being filled with players that the Coach obviously has no intention of playing (just ticking boxes perhaps).

Personally, whilst I accept that the players have to shoulder much of the responsibility for what happens on the ice, the buck needs to stop somewhere & that has to be the coach.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Advanced Member

Default Re: So What Now For Lightning

Discipline and defence ... I can put up with forwards having a dry spell or opposition Nettie playing with the force.

I can't deal with poor discipline throwing games away.

At the moment I don't see any reason why miika would want to sign for us next year, given the really shoddy display infront of him. It feels like Gibson going was the thin end of the wedge for our performances deteriorating, however, every week we seem to have given up 40 shots. It's only a matter of time before that catches up with you and that's certainly come home to roost.

I didn't expect to win loads in the league and the first 2 months seem to have flattered to decieve, possibly giving us false expectations, which is why it feels so dismal now. Other teams have worked us out for sure and an active forecheck we have no response or alternate plan for.

We are a long way from the team that hit the ice on day one and that is totally down to Pete. Its his responsibility to motivate the players and prevent them from losing the will when we go a goal or two down or have an alternate plan. At the moment it would be good to see that as it feels a bit like every player gets a number on a dice at 6pm and we roll for lines (albeit it's been ineffective but a little more settled for the last couple of weeks).

I feel we've stopped attacking the net, I see very little dynamism on the power play and we are just mostly static. Its either that or individuals put their head down and try to take on the world. Perhaps we are more of a collection of individuals than a team at the moment.

All that being said we do still have good players, they don't become bad overnight and there are some moments of real skill out there, but they don't last or aren't cohesive.

Also think that Griff is massively underrated too. He's not put up numbers on net, but week in week out he's putting his body infront of the puck and getting about (got absolutely skinned by Farnya though). He hasn't put up dumb penalties or got into situations that throw him in the box ... started seeing that towards the end of last season and watching his game develop is satisfying.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 2 Weeks Ago
MKIH Forums 1000 post club

I do wonder if we have a few too many ego’s in the dressing-room; guys who may have a bit of a ‘been there, done that’ attitude who don’t seem motivated when things get difficult? Things like Mele going home for Christmas and missing games/arriving back on the day of one seem odd (hope he had the decency to take it un-paid).

Mele’s recruitment is an interesting one, he’s done well but we brought him in when we already had a full compliment of imports, we must have known Gibson was leaving and needed a ‘D’. I feel it was almost a case of bringing in a guy for the sake of saying ‘we’ve brought in an ex-ECHL player’. He’s not added that much physicality and we’ve effectively traded a very skilful player with a bit of power in his game (Karlsson) for a ‘Power’ player with a bit of skill (Mele).

A few other guys also worry me attitude-wise: Foster last night seemed to go through a phase second period where he wasn’t chasing after the puck (though he did find his game a bit in the third, after it was already too late).

As a team we’re shot-shy at the mo, was summed up last night on our second PP of the night when someone (Can’t remember who but they were a right-handed shot? Isackson?) got clear on goal from the left wing and tried to skate it round Bowns (predictably getting stick-checked away). Just got to shoot! It might squeak through the pads, might rebound back to you off him, worst-case is it forces a save, you get a breather, a line-change and an offensive-zone re-set.

We also don’t gave guys crashing the net/driving the net. Lost count of the number of times we’ve played the puck through the crease lately.

Our passing is shocking, now that teams are playing a high-forecheck pressuring style we can’t seem to pick a pass anymore. We seem to be giving up a lot of incomplete passes lately and the frustration seems to be building as the game goes on. Not sure if it’s a solution but maybe we need to slow our game down a bit even-strength, get our puck possession up and lean on the guys who have that bit of skill to beat their man (Kearney, Isackson, FVP, Hook) to work opportunities for a breakout.

One point yesterday we managed to get a cycle going in the Cardiff zone, Kearney in possession, skating round the back of the net with Pompi open at the blue line (completely open, no pressure). Instead of setting him up Kearney keeps it, Keeps it, then passes into the mill of bodies in front of goal.

Pass it to the open man! Either we:

-retain possession
-he passes it back to you at a better angle
-he slaps it in with a chance of a deflection
-it pulls the ‘d’ out of their tight box and maybe opens up the shooting/passing lanes

Either Kearney wasn’t seeing it, or he didn’t trust the player who was open (Think it was Pompi) with the puck?

Few bright spots would be: Griff has played really well and shown a lot of spirit and discipline. I’d put him out on the second D-pair for the next game, or maybe even top-pair with Phillips?

Nickerson has kept his nose-clean lately (the games I’ve seen anyway) and is a useful degenceman when he does.

Ummm...the team looks to be injury free heading into tomorrow’s game (Wiikman permitting). On this form don’t see us coming out with the required win or draw, but could jump-start our new-year if we did.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Huge game Wednesday , in reality lose this and the season is over..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 2 Weeks Ago
MKIH Forums over 1000 post's club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaton Mill Convert View Post
I think it is fairly obvious in what areas we have struggled with - an often ineffective defence, inconsistency amongst the forwards & indiscipline being major issues.
I think you can add lack of depth to that list as well. There's a good number of players on that roster that I just don't think are good enough for this league. It would be OK if the top two lines are banging in goals left, right and centre...but they're not.

Miika must be pretty dejected at the moment. He's been an absolute star since he came in, but he can only do so much. The number of shots he faces week in, week out is ridiculous. On the other hand, we mustered 13 shots on goal across the second and third periods combined last night against Cardiff. There's no doubt that Bowns is a good stopper, but if we can't even get the shots off, there's no hope of getting anything past him.

The powerplays are awful at the moment. There's only so much our PK units can take.

We all know about the stupid penalties and lack of discipline. Essery got a 10 min penalty last night, presumably for mouthing off. It doesn't matter how **** the refs are in this league, we have to be better than that.

We've recruited poorly and confidence looks to be at rock bottom. I think we all know who's responsible for that...

I said on another thread that I can count the number of imports I'd keep next season on one hand and nobody challenged me apart from one person around Essery. I think that says all we need to know. I can't see Hook hanging around next season either.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
MKIH Forums 1000 post club

Lack of recruitment and depth has now been exposed that we’re in a slump.

With regards to on ice, so many ex coaches on here with gameplans.

It will sort itself one way or the other. I expected us to get a drumming every week so I just enjoy the good results.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 2 Weeks Ago

One thing is certain, doing nothing now is not an option. It is easy to appear in the media when things are going well, but now is the time for the owners and coach to address the fans. Why is it at MKL when things get tough, real open and honest communication with the fans (customers) stops ? I don't need to know the intimate details of all the players personal problems and concerns, but a general statement, about how the club plan to snap out of this slump would be something.

I make a lot of effort to attend games, support the club by buying programmes, merchandise & 50/50 tickets, so I think the club needs to address the loyal hard core support, and spend less time creating stupid marketing tweets, that are just plain embarrassing.

Never ever lose touch with your roots !
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Toilet View Post
Lack of recruitment and depth has now been exposed that we’re in a slump.

With regards to on ice, so many ex coaches on here with gameplans.

It will sort itself one way or the other. I expected us to get a drumming every week so I just enjoy the good results.
Posted via Mobile Device
It seems we are now getting a drumming every week, not sure where we go from here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 2 Weeks Ago

It’s starting to look like when MK Kings were promoted!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 1 Week Ago
MKIH Forums 500 post club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzerman19 View Post
It’s starting to look like when MK Kings were promoted!
Posted via Mobile Device
I think your memory may be failing you.

When Kings were promoted, they failed due to not changing the quality of the squad to match the standard of the league we were promoted to.

Pete has put together a squad of players befitting the much higher standard of league we are now in compared to last year.

The volume of games combined with injuries & illness in the squad over the past few weeks was always going to take its toll & that is exactly what has happened.
Posted via Mobile Device