MK-Lightning MK-Thunder MK-Falcons MKIH Forums MK-Rumble MK-Jesters MK-Storm

Go Back   MKIH Forums > MK Forums > MK Lightning

MK Lightning Anything related to Milton Keynes Lightning should be posted in here.

Old 5 Days Ago

Default Lightning shake up

So even though the season isn't over yet. For next season, who would you keep and who would you let go?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 5 Days Ago
MKIH Forums over 1000 post's club

Default Re: Lightning shake up

For what's it's worth, my opinion on next seasons roster:

Wiikman - keep (he's kept us in many a game)
Hedley - keep (hasn't embarrassed himself when called upon, and can only improve)

Hudson - keep (we look a far weaker team whenever he's missing)
Phillips - keep (puts up the points and IMO is solid in defence)
Knaggs - keep (I think he has a promising future)
Nickerson - release (while he can be a solid D, and has the obvious size benefits, too many stupid decisions when the team are already short of players)
Pompi - undecided (whilst he's by no means set the world alight, I think he's progressed throughout the season, and can continue to do so)
Griffin - undecided (his 5th season at this level, so maybe I had unrealistic expectations, plus with regularly playing just 5 D, he's probably been used far more than expected)
Stoflet undecided (seems to be settling into the team, but would like to see more games)

King keep (over a point a game and IMO leads from the front)
Isackson undecided (undoubtedly a talented player, but too many stupid penalties and not enough points for my liking)
Kearney keep (plenty of points and energy, and I bet hes a horrible player to play against)
Foster release (cant really say anything bad, but cant really say anything good either)
Essery keep (Im a fan, good energy, versatile, gets some points and likes to hassle netminders)
Boxill undecided (my main reason to keep him would be because hes British!)
Doucet keep (a skilful player with good points, maybe a few too many penalties)
FVP release (way too much time off the ice for a player of his talent)
Forbes undecided (young, keen and British, can he progress?)
Mele undecided (talented and willing to stick up for the team, but hes already moved up to 3rd on our PIMs stats, only beaten by FVP and Nickerson)
Hook keep (young, keen and British, shown a vast improvement throughout the season)
Billing undecided (apart from a few minutes here and there, havent seen him play but would hope hes developing)
Johnson undecided (as above)

Pete Russell keep (I think hes recruited wisely, hopefully within what would appear to be a limited budget, his team havent been embarrassed like many suggested they would, and I think hes learning and improving with every game like some of the players are, I think he deserves another season)
Old 5 Days Ago
Advanced Member

I'm with Hendo on most of those ...

Griffin - 100% keep, think he's been tidy without being extravagant and done a job when called upon.
Stoflet - release, he's come in to patch a hole and is doing a decent enough job, coughs up way too many opportunities and in an off season I think we could recruit better.
Pompi - release, like Stoflet he's done a job, but gives way too many turnovers in compromising positions.
Johnson - release, wasn't good enough at EPL standard and not good enough for EIHL
Mele - keep, character and hustle as well as a lot of skill. He'd have had less points if he wasn't out defending the team (a la Kloz).
Forbes - keep, decent enough 3/4 liner and is improving, just not at the stellar rate that Hook has. Definitely worth another season.
Isackson - keep, without him we look low on skill and ideas. If we didn't have so many other issues with players discipline you'd forgive him more.

While I'm on that I find it incredible that someone who is apparently attending University can be so dumb repeatedly ... Pete's reaction when we went 5 on 3 at the end was a pretty good indication of what most of us felt I feel.

The last point I would have is that I think Miika would be mental to sign for us for next season. You can see how frustrated he is and it's testament to the man that he turns up each week and puts in the performances he does. I'd be delighted if he stays though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 5 Days Ago
MKIH Forums over 1000 post's club

I agree with most of those.

Doucet would be on my release list. Despite the fanfare and hype around his signing, hes just not delivered.

I keep Boxhill. Whilst he is not a game winner and his points production doesnt exactly set the world on fire, I think he is very underrated on the penalty kill. I think him and Hook work well together chasing the park, but theres only so much those guys can do on the penalty kill under so much pressure!

Personally, I think we may struggle to keep Hook next season. Hes not look out of place really at all this season and gets good time on the special teams as well. For sure there is still a lot for him to learn at this level, but can he keep and continue his progress at the MK?

Re-signing Mika should be an absolute no-brainer. However, as said above you can see every game how frustrated he gets. The amount of shots per game that he has to face is ridiculous and whilst certain players having a couple of minutes rest in the penalty box its players like Mika and Boxill that have to absorb the pressure from the other teams PP.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 5 Days Ago

Again, agree with most of that. It wasnt until last night that I realised about Boxhill too on the Pps, but Im not entirely sure overall hes good for the team.

WRT Miika, dont forget he wasnt playing when we picked him up. I cant see any other UK team picking him up. I hope he stays.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 5 Days Ago
MKIH Forums 1000 post club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Again, agree with most of that. It wasnt until last night that I realised about Boxhill too on the Pps, but Im not entirely sure overall hes good for the team.

WRT Miika, dont forget he wasnt playing when we picked him up. I cant see any other UK team picking him up. I hope he stays.
Posted via Mobile Device
Youre right that other teams didnt take a chance on him last season.

Hopefully hed stay, and lessons having been learnt from this year wed be able to put up a better team in front of him.

Im undecided on who to keep, release? It sounds like some of our players lower-down the budget might have been inexpensive picks rather than on talent alone.

Certainly can see Forbes and Foster staying for that reason (and hopefully can improve in a second season).

Been critical of Mele but can see the benefits of retaining him.

Billing Id like to see play for us next season, he got a goal in pre-season and the time to play him is now, or we might as well give up on him and Johnson and Knaggs.

Griffin has really showed character over the last few difficult games. You need that from the Brits in the side. Same with Boxill (though hell never be a points-generator sadly).

FVP has worn out his welcome with me. Silly penalties when hes a crucial player in the line up shows him to have a bit much of an ego in my eyes.

Id argue to keep Nickerson. When he keeps his nose clean hes capable blue-liner. Give someone else the job of standing up for the team (Mele?) and tell him to stay out of the box or hell get cut. Then if someone like Paquette or Rosehill starts taking liberties let him off the leash. Theres still a time and a place for that, problem is Nickerson picks up too many silly pens in addition. Hed be on my 3rd line D-pair.

Id be on the lookout for a skilful Centre who can play-in Doucet, weve not seen enough of him this year, I think he needs skill to play off of, he works well with FVP but we need someone whos not such a liability. (Maybe look at guys Douce has partnered before and see whos available?)
Posted via Mobile Device