MK-Lightning MK-Thunder MK-Falcons MKIH Forums MK-Rumble MK-Jesters MK-Storm

Go Back   MKIH Forums > MK Forums > MK Lightning

MK Lightning Anything related to Milton Keynes Lightning should be posted in here.

Old 12-10-2017
MKIH Forums over 1000 post's club

Default Re: Fife Flyers v MK Lightning - Sun 10/12/17 F.O. 1830

So yet another bad day at the office as we slip slowly down the league.
Think we really need to replace the missing D and maybe even a dead wood cutting exercise now.
Rinks visited MK Arena,Thunderdome,Ice, Basingstoke, Bracknell, Brno Kometa (CZ) Chelmsford, Coventry, Deeside, Guilford, Hull Arena, Ryde I.O.W , Nuremberg Arena (De), Nottingham, Manchester Altrincham , Peterborough, Romford, Sheffield , Slavia Praha O2 (CZ), Slough, Sparta Praha Tip Sport (CZ),Sparta Praha O2 (CZ), Swindon, Telford,
Old 12-10-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
So yet another bad day at the office as we slip slowly down the league.
Think we really need to replace the missing D and maybe even a dead wood cutting exercise now.
I don't think there should be any knee-jerk roster changes, but I tend to agree. Kyle has done well on D, but we need to get a seasoned defender to tighten things at the back. It's no coincidence that our form has dipped since we lost Gibson.

Out of interest, which players do you consider dead wood?
Old 12-11-2017

Agree about a new D man but even assuming funds are available where do you find one good enough who is available in December?
I don't see any passengers in this group. We need to play/coach our way out of this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2017
MKIH Forums 1000 post club

I think this is just a result of playing vastly different teams ability-wise in vastly different environments.

Dundee did well to 'stop the rot' after the first period but that's about the only positive you can say about their game on Saturday.

We really need to learn how to play on the road though. Not been able to travel with the team this season (though hoping to take in a couple of away games if I can before the summer) can anyone who has eyes-on the team comment as to where we're struggling away from home?
Old 12-11-2017
Advanced Member

I'd say we struggle with penalty minutes home or away.

The major offenders need to stop spending time in the box, especially on stupid penalties. FVP and Nickerson would be the major offenders there imo.

King also needs to lead in that respect. The knee that got him banned and the slash on Fullerton Saturday are probably the two most brainless ones we have taken this year. In both instances there was zero need for it and not even close games.

Gotta play a lot smarter and stay on the ice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2017
Advanced Member

The team is fantastic on the rush using their speed and passing ability and vision to get the goals! When we try and set up itís difficult at times to keep control of the puck for longer periods to create quality chances in the offensive zone. Our guys make the same mistake as a lot of teams on the power play they slow down they should speed up on the power play. The team will be looking at the videoís and see and hopefully act on what things are good and what could be better! We need to be fast strong and clever to give ourselves a better chance every game. We are fast strong but not too clever recently, if the mind goes then frustration creeps in and confidence drops. I was told by a player once itís always doing the small things right that make big things happen during a game and it didnít really matter who you play against if you stick to that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbros650 View Post
We really need to learn how to play on the road though. Not been able to travel with the team this season (though hoping to take in a couple of away games if I can before the summer) can anyone who has eyes-on the team comment as to where we're struggling away from home?
Slowness out of the traps in most of the away games I have seen. The opposition are already 2, 3 or 4 up before MK switch on. The Nottingham game is probably the only one I have seen MK really take it to the opposition from the first puck drop and we were unlucky not to come away with the win. The game in Coventry we were what, 4 down after 10 minutes or so? The first two games of the Scottish triple header again we allowed Fife and Braehead to get 2 or goals headstart from which we couldn't recover.
Old 12-12-2017

I absolutely love our Manager, honestly, but all of Pete's teams (including GB) appear to often have a second period collapse.

Having Wiki in goal has changed much of this at home, but we are generally outshot home and away. Losing 4 goals again in the second at Fife didn't surprise me at all.

I don't know whether it's because we try and come out fighting (and earlier in the season, that meant throwing a couple of goals away), but we seem to calm down in the second, then pick it up in the third, often by the time it's too late.

I'd be interested if a statistician proved me right or wrong by looking at goals scored / conceded in the 2nd periods, not just this season, but the last couple before that.

Just had a quick look at the GB ones - the Japan and Netherlands game aside, I was right.
In the 3 previous games (Croatia, Lithuania, Estonia), despite winning, our second period performance overall was scored none, conceded 2.

Just checked the last half a dozen MK away games, and this is most definitely the case. We're absolutely outshot in the second by 2:1 in many games and outscored comfortably. This isn't always the case in the rest of the game.
At Guildford, we lost the 2nd period 4-1. On Sunday, 4-0.