MK-Lightning MK-Thunder MK-Falcons MKIH Forums MK-Rumble MK-Jesters MK-Storm

Go Back   MKIH Forums > MK Forums Archive > Recycled Posts Forum

Recycled Posts Forum If your post is in here, it's because it didn't fit anywhere else or is outdated.

Old 05-19-2006
mmmm beer and food

Default What is Floorball?

Ever wondered? c'mon some of you must have done.

Here are some links for you that will explain the game and hopefully make you want to come and try it out

http://www.gbff.co.uk/about/

http://www.floorball.co.uk/bfua_2006.pdf

Your local Milton Keynes team can be found training at Oakgrove Leisure Centre every Wednesday evening from 6:30 till 7:30. Anybody is welcome to come along and give the sport a try including juniors*. PM me if you want more information

*we have no specific Junior session at this time under 14 must be accompanied by a parent
Old 05-19-2006
Advanced Member

Sorry am I being really dumb here....

Followed your first link..as have been wondering what floor ball is and it says:

It is sometimes likened to ice hockey without the ice skates, but there are considerable differences in the rules.

So is it played on ice???? If so how does that work??? If not, then isn't it just like hockey? whats the difference between hockey and floor ball??

Thanks,

Please no 'funny' comments, I ahve a cold and my head is all foggy!!!

:D

Fluffy
x
Old 05-19-2006
mmmm beer and food

The rules, stick handling, team make-up etc. are based on Ice Hockey but it is played in a sports hall hence no skates.

The game was developed in Scandinavia who have little knowledge of Field hockey therefore it has its roots firmly implanted in the Ice Hockey world.

There are a lot of different rules as there are in most sports but essentially it plays in a very similar fashion to Ice Hockey, the main difference is that its non contact (OK I've thrown a couple of outrageous hip check in league games but the ref missed them;) )

Most current Floorball players in the UK are either from an Ice Hockey (the Grubb brother of Fife play in Scotland and Janne Ronkainon used to play as a youngster..oh and Watty, Webby and Rocket of the Jesters play) or field hockey background or like myself merely an interested party who can't skate for toffee and fancied a go at a sport with a stick

hope that helps but feel free to ask any further questions
Old 06-06-2006
Advanced Member

Do you let girls play?

Is it the kind of thing a beginner could try and if they are jhopeles just come along for the excersise? (I might know someone who is chronicly bad at most ball games...but quite enjoys a new challenge!!)

:s
Old 06-06-2006
mmmm beer and food

It is open to all..thats the fun of it. We're a little short on ladies at the moment but occassionally we have a couple pop along

if you just want to come along and have a look please be my guest. You can have a play or just watch to start with