MK-Lightning MK-Thunder MK-Falcons MKIH Forums MK-Rumble MK-Jesters MK-Storm

Go Back   MKIH Forums > MK Forums > MK Lightning

MK Lightning Anything related to Milton Keynes Lightning should be posted in here.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
MKIH Forums 500 post club

Default 'Dream' signings (or) 'You pick the team'

Bit dull on here waiting for signing news.

If you were GM...who would you be looking to sign (from GB, Europe, N/A) for next season?

I'd be looking at:

Lopuski
Holli (or Hoooooo-Lee from the DVD)
Frankie

Matty Davies
Jonathan Weaver

So our imports from last year: I reckon Lopuski deserves a shot and playing in Div 1A for Poland might mean he stands a chance at being competitive in the EIHL.

Holli showed his class last year and again deserves a shot at 'playing up' (though there might be less of a need for him to be a playmaker/scorer, more see him revert to his strong two-way game)?

Frankie I'd take as a more physical presence. We will need someone to drop the gloves in that league and with more imports there is less pressure on him to stay out of the box (not that he was good at that anyway...) plus he can skate and use his strength well. People criticize that he 'couldn't cut it' in the Elite before, but I'd argue that he's a player that has gotten better as he's got older and, when he keeps his head, you see him doing some intelligent plays out there, using his strength and reach to protect the puck.

Davies did well in the EPL for Tigers. Probably too good for that league and not quite good enough for the 'top' teams in the Elite? I'd play on our coach being GB coach and try to get him in, though hopefully not on his Tigers wages!

Weaver would be a veteran head and a leader in the locker-room. Thought he played really well for GB this year despite his age, even if he couldn't ice every other shift for us he could be an asset on the PP (which sorely needs improving). I don't see him going to any of the 'established' Elite teams, so maybe us or Guildford?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 2 Weeks Ago
MKIH Forums over 1000 post's club

Default Re: 'Dream' signings (or) 'You pick the team'

Rumour has it that Holli was signed on an 18 month deal when he signed for us. If you're looking for a 'fighter' in the EIHL, Frankie is not the guy for it. Whilst Frankie can handle himself, there's some proper heavyweights in the EIHL. On his day, he can be emense. His goal in the play-off final was one of the best goals I've seen in 25 years of hockey.

I'd take McGratton from Nottingham. He's proven in the NHL and can also play at that level.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Reagan View Post
Rumour has it that Holli was signed on an 18 month deal when he signed for us. If you're looking for a 'fighter' in the EIHL, Frankie is not the guy for it. Whilst Frankie can handle himself, there's some proper heavyweights in the EIHL. On his day, he can be emense. His goal in the play-off final was one of the best goals I've seen in 25 years of hockey.

I'd take McGratton from Nottingham. He's proven in the NHL and can also play at that level.
Never seen him play (but imagine we all will next season - McGratton).

I'd really like them to hurry up if anyone has been retained from last season. In some ways while we might sign better or more influential players, or ones that have played at higher levels, it's guys like Holli and Lopuski who will make the team still 'feel like' an MKL team. Even if they aren't Brits.

Imagine if they announced Carsy or Jaimo on two-way contracts with Thunder or something like that.

Would quite like the Liam Stewart rumour to be true. He'd be a big player for an up-and-coming team, would bring a bit of mainstream attention and publicity, is a GB International and a known-quality for Pete (albeit classed as an import). Plus his 'Mom's not bad for her age... (maybe this is why we have the VIP 'Christmas tree' bar now?)

Flight-of-Fancy alert (well I did put 'Dream' signings as the thread title): would love to see Jaromir Jagr see out his career with a season in the Elite League (with MKL) before he hangs up the skates
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Reagan View Post
Panthers fans think he will leave as he doesn't get on with the owner and coach, can't see us affording his wages though, if we want an enforcer that can play then there are a few out there that are more affordable, Mike Sdao, Derek Mathers, Cody Sol, Triston Grant, though I would love to see us grab Dalton Smith, puts up good numbers and has a touch of Kurt about him
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Advanced Member

No Hook, Cownie or Shemmy?!!!!!!
I'd like to see Neil and Knaggs in the mix but given the way that Pete played Ed last year ... it wouldn't be good for him
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
No Hook, Cownie or Shemmy?!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
They're already signed??
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Advanced Member

Does it mean anything these days? I know Shemmy was on a 2 year deal but I thought that was the case with Luposki too ...
Given the farce around contracts when Pete arrived I'd want to see it confirmed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Does it mean anything these days? I know Shemmy was on a 2 year deal but I thought that was the case with Luposki too ...
Given the farce around contracts when Pete arrived I'd want to see it confirmed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Prophetic Kipper...

So with Cownie gone we have to put some big question-marks over some of the other players till we get the announcements on the website.

I make it:

Hook (?) - King - Doucet
Import - Import - Holli (?)
Import - Import - Import
Import - Brit - Brit (U23)

Import - Import
Import - Import
Import - Griffin

Hedley
Odrobny (?)

So rumoured are:

Kacper Guzik
Christian Isackson
Kyle Essery
Liam Stewart (who'd be classed as an import?)

Anyone have any thoughts as to who the other U-23 Brit and (possible) over-age Brit might be?
Old 1 Week Ago

Sadly I have so little knowledge of Elite I can probably only name four players at most and one of those was Liam Stewart.
Rinks visited MK Arena, MK Thunderdome, MK Ice, Basingstoke, Bracknell, Brno Kometa (CZ) Chelmsford, Coventry, Deeside, Guilford, Hull Arena, Ryde I.O.W , Nuremberg Arena (De), Nottingham, Manchester Altringham , Peterbourgh Romford, Sheffield , Slavia Praha O2 (CZ), Slough, Sparta Praha (CZ), Swindon, Telford,
Old 1 Week Ago

I'd love Felix-Antione Poulin from Dundee. 50 points (including 17 goals!) from defence last season. Real powerplay QB, which seeing as Holli has gone we are in need of! http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=37510