MK-Lightning MK-Thunder MK-Falcons MKIH Forums MK-Rumble MK-Jesters MK-Storm

Go Back   MKIH Forums > MK Forums > Other Teams forums

Other Teams forums Any other ice hockey teams info should be placed in here, no matter what league or country they are in.

Old 01-09-2017
MKIH Forums over 1000 post's club

Default Manchester are saved

At least for the rest of the season many interesting bits to this announcment.
Also going all Brit for the rest of the season.

The English Premier Ice Hockey League, Manchester Phoenix, Widnes Wild and Silver Blades Ice Rinks would like to announce that the Manchester Phoenix Ice Hockey team will play the majority of their remaining fixtures for the 2016/17 season at Silver Blades Widnes.

Silver Blades Widnes offered the Phoenix the use of Widnes Ice Rink in the best interests of the British Ice Hockey as it would enable the Phoenix to continue to operate until the end of the season, thereby enabling stability for all the teams, and would also provide the opportunity to assess the viability for the Manchester Phoenix playing out of the Silver Blades Ice Rink Widnes in future seasons.

This agreement has the support of the Widnes Wild NiHL team whose players will be empowered to play up to both the Manchester Phoenix and Manchester Storm when the Wild don’t have conflicting fixtures and with the agreement of the relevant coaches.

A representative of Silver Blades Widnes said;

“We are delighted to welcome the Phoenix to Widnes as we look to expand the opportunity for local people to watch ice hockey in Widnes. We envisage the Phoenix complementing the Widnes Wild NiHL and Womens teams, thereby providing the opportunity to watch ice hockey every weekend in Widnes.”
Rinks visited MK Arena, MK Thunderdome, MK Ice, Basingstoke, Bracknell, Brno Kometa (CZ) Chelmsford, Coventry, Deeside, Guilford, Hull Arena, Ryde I.O.W , Nuremberg Arena (De), Nottingham, Manchester Altringham , Peterbourgh Romford, Sheffield , Slavia Praha O2 (CZ), Slough, Sparta Praha (CZ), Swindon, Telford,
Old 01-10-2017
Advanced Member

Default Re: Manchester are saved

Manchester also released all their (allegedly) unpaid import players via a press release. For the rest of the season there will be an all brit line up of players.

It seems the whole sorry saga is starting to come to an end.
Old 01-10-2017
MKIH Forums 1000 post club

So many lies, so much reputation and respect lost for Tony Hand.

Total mess.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2017

Maybe, just maybe, Tony Hand has been strung along as well, possibly by a sense of loyalty to the fans and hope that something would come out of the sorry saga. I don't suppose he's a happy man this morning.
Wild prediction for next season (sorry about the pun): Widnes Wild to take over Manchester Phoenix's spot in the EPL; Manchester Storm to step down to the EPL (I don't believe they are getting very big crowds) and MKL to step up to the Elite League. Result - same number of teams in Elite and EPL. Only thing against this is that Widnes' spectator capacity is not particularly large (1,000).
Having said that there does not seem to be a huge appetite among fans for MKL stepping up to the Elite - many are unhappy at losing our British players as would seem to be inevitable. What do others think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2017
Administrator

I don't believe for one minute that Tony Hand was strung along. He knew exact what was happening.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2017
MKIH Forums 500 post club

Storm are holding their own in the elite league. They are still a new team, despite having an old name, and it takes time to build a fan base. Hull survived a long time in the elite and I think they had fewer fans than now.

Having said that, with the rumours of meetings about the future and structure of the leagues, I believe the structure of British hockey will be very different within the next couple of years
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble33 View Post
I don't believe for one minute that Tony Hand was strung along. He knew exact what was happening.
Posted via Mobile Device
He must have been blind and dumb to not see what was going on.
Old 01-10-2017

I bet Tony Hand is paid every month on time.
Old 01-10-2017
MKIH Forums over 1000 post's club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediawatcher View Post
Having said that there does not seem to be a huge appetite among fans for MKL stepping up to the Elite - many are unhappy at losing our British players as would seem to be inevitable. What do others think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Have to say i would prefer us to stay EPL and am not looking forward to Elite as much as I think I should.
Rinks visited MK Arena, MK Thunderdome, MK Ice, Basingstoke, Bracknell, Brno Kometa (CZ) Chelmsford, Coventry, Deeside, Guilford, Hull Arena, Ryde I.O.W , Nuremberg Arena (De), Nottingham, Manchester Altringham , Peterbourgh Romford, Sheffield , Slavia Praha O2 (CZ), Slough, Sparta Praha (CZ), Swindon, Telford,
Old 01-11-2017

Personally I have never wanted mk to step up. Conflict of interests.
There's two very different styles of hockey on offer. Elite is slick, skilled and not very physical. Epl is less predictable and much more physical. I prefer the epl hockey...
Posted via Mobile Device