MK-Lightning MK-Thunder MK-Falcons MKIH Forums MK-Rumble MK-Jesters MK-Storm

Go Back   MKIH Forums > MK Forums > MK Lightning

MK Lightning Anything related to Milton Keynes Lightning should be posted in here.

Old 07-12-2017

Default Bring back MK Lightning Bolt

Can't believe they took the Lightning Bolt from centre ice for that bland uninspiring logo please god not on the front of next seasons jerseys
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2017
MKIH Forums over 1000 post's club

Default Re: Bring back MK Lightning Bolt

But the old logo won't mean a thing to the vast majority of the new players. They have no affiliation with it so I doubt it's going to bother them.

I agree that the new logo looks pretty lame, especially at centre ice, but let's trust Monica and Graham in what they're doing.
Old 07-13-2017
MKIH Forums 500 post club

Come on the YW Lightning!
Old 07-13-2017

What difference does a logo make?

Why not concentrate on supporting the team in their first season in the Elite League?
Old 07-13-2017

[QUOTE=Caryll;263856]What difference does a logo make?

Why not concentrate on supporting the team in their first season in the Elite League?
The logo is called tradition something to identify for the fans and away fans as well,I will support the team and try to get to every game possible.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2017
Administrator

May I ask which logo you refer to when you say "tradition" I am seeing a lot of people saying we need to stick with the original logo is it this one?
https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...act=mrc&uact=8

Perhaps this one?

There was also this one, modeled by Lukas Zatopek

There's also this "bolt and baseball font" logo
https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net...30&oe=59FF24FC

Let's also not forget on the original MKL log0
http://www.thepuckstopshere.co.uk/ne...=1&t=2&id=269#

There are a lot of logos and I'm seeing a lot of people say we should stick with the traditional logo what one is the traditional logo. The second has been the longest serving logo, but I believe the favourite is the most recent logo which we've had since the return to MK.
Old 07-13-2017

Where's the 'like' button Pimmy?

but you seem to have forgotten the year that we relegated the 'logo' to the shoulders and just went with MKL on the tummy.

Coventry,MK,Hull,B'stoke,BBT,Nottingham(x2),UConn, Deeside,Telford,Rodovre,Koeln,Solihull,Newcastle,I CE Sheffield,Geneva,Peterborough,Belfast, Sheffield Arena,Slough,Murrayfield,Morristown,Bristol,Altrin cham,Blackburn,Whitley Bay,Guildford,Solway,Braehead,Billingham,Swindon,O dense,Rungsted,MK ICE,Chelmsford,Tychy,Dundee,Bracknell, IAW
Old 07-14-2017

If you look at all the logos apart from the 2 times we went with MKL on the front the are all MK lightning with a lightning bolt through the name probably missed a couple of logos
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by daveR; 07-14-2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-14-2017

I think the 'traditional' logo most associated with MKL is more the general arrangement of a Lightning Bolt, ball/'shield'/circle, MK LIGHTNING' written on or near it. It's evolved over the years but the 'brand' has featured those elements.

Now the most recent version of that was basically perfect for me, still 'traditional' enough, composited well, looked dynamic, had a clear association with the team name. Looked like a 'hockey' emblem as well, without completely ripping-off Tampa Bay's logo.

Now this new one just looks very corporate, it looks like we've slapped a sponsor-logo at centre-ice. I 'get' the concept 'M&K' incorporated into a Lightning-bolt emblem, but it's executed poorly, it isn't dynamic and is a bit 'fiddly' (the 'M' is easily identified, but the 'K' looks like it's been forced-in to the design).

It could MAYBE be 'saved' IMO if on the jerseys it's oriented as it is on the Facebook profile-pic, at a 45 degree angle the 'Lightning' part of the emblem is more apparent. Similarly maybe re-introduce the 'shield'/circle element either partially or fully enclosing the symbol, with MK Lightning written underneath.

As for the timing and reception it strikes me as a re-brand for its own sake? The owners stamping their 'brand' on the club (it does look like something you'd see on a sign for a publishing company as opposed to a sports-team) when the current brand is accepted by the fans, well known locally and is associated with our most successful trophy haul in 7 years. I can see why it's unpopular with some of the fanbase (more so than the change to 'blue' I think?)

Maybe the club can 'make it up' to those fans by introducing a 'heritage' black and gold 'third' jersey. Pretty sure most of the Elite teams have 3 don't they? Whites/Colours and a dark jersey (I know I've seen Braehead in white/purple, purple/white and black/purple.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2017

I think there have been a few little niggles over the past few years but all have had a purpose in a way.

Switching to blue - Smith have provided much needed investment.
Import Nettie - We all love Mr Odrobny and just look at the stats.
Moving to Elite - EPL was clearly in a sorry state.
Releasing the fan favourites - We have to compete unfortunately.
Increasing Ticket prices - See above.

Logo rebrand - Scrapping a much loved Ice Hockey logo that was recognizable to the local community and the national ice hockey community and replacing it with a corporate squiggle.
Merchandise used to fly off the supporters club stand so why replace something that sells?
If it was a case of tweaking the true logo then fair play but this just seems like a vanity project for the new owners.

That said I am a Lightning Supporter. I love Ice hockey and the people that I see week in week out. I will get over this as I am sure the rest of you will too but I like that we have a voice on here, even if the owners don't listen.

Peace!